Jesus liebt mich: the book vs. the movie

I have this sort of non-written tradition by which I like to watch certain films during a specific holiday season, for example Love Actually during Christmas time or Life of Brian in Easter. While not strictly Christmas-themed, I'd wanted to watch the movie adaptation of David Safier's book Jesus liebt mich since I found out that it existed because I'd read it and quite enjoyed it, but streaming Geman movies has proven awfully difficult (probably because I wasn't looking in the right places, but still). But I finally found it.
The story is pretty much the same as the book: Marie is a thirty-something disaster of a woman who is about to marry Sven but leaves him at the altar only to, shortly after that, meeting and falling in love with no other than Jesus Christ himself, who is back on Earth because the apocalypse is planned for next Tuesday. 

While the movie is a good comedy, the book had a lot more tiny details that made it better and even funnier. I missed the sub-plot with Marie's sister, whose comic stripes work as sort of conscience for Marie so that she will realize that her problems are easier to solve. I was disappointed to see that they cut the matter-of-factly conversations between God and Satan about the end of the world, although it doesn't really interfere with the development of the romance, but still... At least they kept most of Marie's hilarious inner thoughts through a voice-over and the character of Gabriel, the archangel that became a mortal man out of unrequired love, and added a scene in which he teaches the Bible to a group of primary school kids.

Overall, I'd recommend this movie to people who have read the book, as the adaptation is quite good and has a couple of little details here and there that get a smile on your face (like Jesus clicking a glass full of water and turning it into wine during a family dinner), or even to any of you who are looking for a decent, light-hearted romantic comedy for a couch-and-blanket evening. The only problem is that, so far, I've only been able to find it in German and I'm not sure if it's dubbed.

Comentaris