dimarts, 1 d’octubre de 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - #5 Books I Read That Were Outside Of My Comfort Zone



Honestly, this was a difficult entry. I'm always for getting to know more books and I've seldom been afraid of trying new things (literature-wise, of course). Most of the books that appear in this TTT entry share the fact that it was my first time reading a specific genre which I'm not used to reading, but it's not necessarily the main topic of the book that made me get out of my comfort zone, which is kind of wide, as of now. As usual, the books appear in no particular order.



#1 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley. It was my first novel with a dystopian future and I didn't quite understand it at the time (basically because it was a compulsory reading for school so I kind of read over it without paying a lot of attention). I wasn't used to reading such novels.

#2 Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson. Apparently, this is a YA classic but I chose it from the bookshop out of  pure curiosity when I was twelve, without any sort of recommendation. I honestly wasn't prepared for what I found inside its pages because the books I had read until that moment were a bit more happy-ending-oriented.

#3 Els altres catalans - Francesc Candel. I'm not used to reading essay books, I've always prefered fiction.

#4 De oratore - Cicero. Another book we had to read at school, this one for Latin class. Although Virgil's Aeneid is from the same historical period (more or less), at least it's more "fictional". De oratore was really hard to read because of the way it is written and, again, I'm more used to reading fictional books and this is a veeeeery long essay on speaking in public.

#5 Ab urbe condita (History of Rome) - Titus Liv. And yet another book for Latin class. I had never read historical chronicles before.

#6 Eighty Days Yellow - Vina Jackson. I keep mentioning this book in every TTT entry xD. I had never read erotic novels with BDSM elements before.

#7 The A Song of Ice and Fire series - George R.R. Martin. I had failed to go further than page 120 of The Fellowship of the Ring, so when I got Game of Thrones, the first book in the series, I was really intimidated by it. I actually almost gave it up arond page 120 as well, lost in a sea of main houses and sworn houses, but I was reading in a train and I had nothing else to read. I'm glad I continued.

#8 Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card. This is kind of cheating because I already have read and enjoyed dystopian-future YA novels, and I'm not yet done reading this book. But this might my first time with actual science-fiction.

#9 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov. I'd never imagined a story about a pedophile could be written so beautifully to the point that you sometimes forget Humbert, aged 50, is talking about a 12 zear-old girl. I felt dirty liking his character and feeling kind of sorry for him after I finished the book.

#10 Anything by Haruki Murakami. Although I generally like his books, they don't always follow the scheme of introduction-development-conclusion in a "Western" sense or logic, so what I expect from the story always catches me off-guard.

Twitter Goodreads