dimarts, 10 de setembre de 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - #3 Most Intimidating Books

Here is my third entry of the Top Ten Tuesday. Last week I was unable to upload it because of work. As usual, the books appear in no particular order.


#1 Don Quijote de la Mancha - Miguel de Cervantes. I had to read this for school, I read some pages, and I gave up. Still, I think it's one of those books you have to read at least once in your life. And it's not like I can blame it on the number of pages.

#2 The Decameron - Bocaccio. Another big literature classic that is giving me suggestive looks right now from the shelves, but that I'm a bit afraid of diving into.

#3 Inferno - Dante. Again, one of those books you have to read and that is referenced again and again, but is quite intimidating.

#4 One Thousand and One Nights. I actually started to read this a loooong time ago but never got to the end. I especifically lust for the 3-volume Catalan translation by Dolors Cinca.

#5 Anna Karenina - Lev Tolstoi. Do you notice the pattern already? Only because I really, really wanted to read the book before seeing the movie, I managed to get through the more than 800 pages that take us to Russia in a time when things were different.

#6 The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet. Everybody talked about this book during my last year at high school and because of that I automatically decided I didn't want to read it because best-seller normally equals overrated (which is the case with this book) and I didn't want to be disappointed (which I could say I was). Then I got it as a present, my dad read the 1000+ pages-long novel in a couple of days (a literal couple of days) so it kind of made me want to see if it was really worth the hype.

#7 Eighty Days Yellow - Vina Jackson. Now, intimidating might not be the right word there, but you should understand it as my fear of disappointment. This is what happened with this book: I was afraid that I was downloading the bazillionth, badly-written rip-off of Fifty Shades of Grey (not that FSOG is the perfect candidate for a Literature Nobel Prize, mind you). And I was positively surprised.

#8 Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami. Your first time with Murakami is a very special thing, because it's a kind of literature that Western readers might not be used to. At least, I wasn't. I went for the "easy" choice but I did during the whole Murakami craze. Fear of disappointment strikes back. I'm sure there's a cure for that.

#9 Notre Dame de Paris - Victor Hugo. This one only intimidates me because, out of pure greed, I bought the French pocket edition for 4,60€ (when are Spanish publishers going to learn?). I've read Victor Hugo before, but not in the original version, and my French is very rusty. But 4,60€ for such a thick book was an offer I couldn't resist.

#10 The Godfather - Mario Puzzo. Speaking of offers that I can't refuse, here is one book that I was not so keen on reading because of its movie adaptation. This is one of those very rare cases in which the movie is as good as the book.

Twitter Goodreads