dijous, 19 de setembre de 2013

Express reviews (3)

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button


Benjamin Button is born with a rare condition: he ages in reverse, so he is born as an old man and will die as a little baby. This is the story of his life and his love for Daisy.

This was one of those thousands of pendant films on my list and I got the DVD as a Christmas present last year but I didn't watch it until this summer. I liked it but it was sooo long! Half an hour less of footage would have worked just as well. Brad Pitt looks a bit creepy as the older Benjamin, but the story was likable. I'd like to read the short story written by Fitzgerald that the movie took inspiration from.


Crazy, Stupid Love


Cal and Emily Weaver are going to get a divorce because she cheated on him with a work collegue. Knowing that he has hit the bottom, he tries to get dates with other women and for such purpose he gets the help of Jacob, a professional womanizer. 

Will you look at that, a romantic comedy that is both romantic and a comedy! Despite the Holywood happy ending with morality on the side, I enjoyed this and I didn't feel that my intelligence was being insulted. It's not the best movie ever, but it's worth a watch if you're looking for a rom-com that even your boyfriend will watch. Oh, and Ryan Gosling is topless in it, too *wink-wink*.


Despicable me 2

 
Bottom... haha, hoho!

After adopting Margo, Edith, and Agnes, Gru is officialy retired from the villain business, but he gets a job offer from the AVL (Anti Villain League) to help them catch a really powerful bad guy. 

They say second parts are always worse than the original, although I don't think this applies to this film, except maybe if you think there are too many slapstick scenes with the minions, and that the whole love story is a bit forced. Other than that, both children and adults will enjoy this movie.


The Notebook
 


In the summer of 1940, Allie and Noah fell in love, but she was a lady and he was just a poor boy. Still, and in spite of all the obstacles that overcame, that didn't stop them from loving each other for the rest of their lives.

No. Just no. This is not the most romantic film ever. This is a trainwreck of a romance. I don't like how Noah forces himself into Allie's life, I didn't like Allie's personality, I didn't buy the Romeo and Juliet relationship nor Allie's mother's reactions, I felt sorry for James Marsden's character. And I especially dislike how this is sold to viewers as the most romantic thing ever. It is still a better love story than Twilight, sure, but not much better. 

I did like one thing, though, and I though that was the only kind of romantic part in the whole movie: the older couple and how the husband never loses faith that his wife will remember who he is. But this first encounter with him is enough Nicholas Sparks for me for the rest of my life. Not even watching this when I was on a very bad period saves this thing (I have a sneaking suspicion that watching such movies under such conditions only make me more skeptical).

Twitter Goodreads