Top Ten Tuesday - #2 Books I'd want on a desert island



This time, the books on this list appear in no particular order. I'm including only books that are not part of a series, because that would be cheating. The titles of the books are named in the language that I would be taking them: if the name of the book is in English, it means I'd take an English copy, and so on. I've included the titles in English in parenthesis if I chose a translation the title of which is not the same as in the original language. Ah, this is confusing! (Being able to read in multiple languages makes this top ten lists kind of difficult, sometimes!). Here it goes:


1. Die unendliche Geschichte - Michael Ende. Although I always liked Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer more, this book gets you thinking. I have it in German and in Spanish, but since I haven't read in German yet, that's the one I'd be taking.

2. Odissea - Homer. I'd be taking the 1949 Catalan translation in verse of the Odyssey by Carles Riba. It's pure poetry. No wonder it's become a linguistic and literary model throughout the years.

3. Trilogia El senyor dels anells (The Lord of the Rings trilogy) - J.R.R. Tolkien. As I mentioned here, I own the whole trilogy (translated into Catalan) in just one volume. However, I've often stated that I've never been able to read past page 120. Being on a desert island sounds like a good moment to start.

4. Cuentos de Eva Luna - Isabel Allende. A book containing several short stories about characters that appear in the author's novel Eva Luna. I actually read the short stories before the novel one summer in high school and every once in a while I like to re-read them.

5. Les veus del Pamano - Jaume Cabré. I loved the novel. That's pretty much it.

6. Les Misérables - Victor Hugo. For those moments when you need classic morality lessons disguised under a great book.

7. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy. Same as above, only from a slightly different point of view.

8. Bel Canto - Ann Patchett. An exploration of human relationships with opera music in the background. Although plot-wise it's not my favorite Ann Patchett book, I think it's the one that captures human nature best.

9. Breu història del món (Eine kurze Weltgeschichte für junge Leser) - Ernst H. Gombrich. My dad gave this book to me as a gift in my very early teens, but I never got to read all of it because I was too lazy to bother to read a history book. I need to finish it some time, and it would help to review a couple of historical episodes.

10. Enciclopedia de mitología universal - Arthur Cotterell (ed.). This book is a collection of several myths from all over the world. It would be my equivalent of a fairy tale book.

Comentaris

Entrades populars